My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

back to work.....

Back to work at Bennetts Greenhouse!!!  YEAH!!!!
I LOVE the work and the people I work with....but this "older" body needs to get back into the routine of getting up early and the hours that I am putting in.
I am working 10 hour days on Fri, Sat and Mon and 6 hours on Sunday. 
And I am determined to not let this "old" and "out of shape" body get me down!
We have had an unseasonably warmer spring this year and customers are hitting us hard, anxious to put out their gardens and flowers.
What they do not realize, or clearly not thinking, that our nights are still too cool for a lot of the plants that they are purchasing.  You cannot take tomatoes, peppers and a few other choice veggie plants or annual flowers, from the greenhouse and plant right away into the ground!  Even if we don't get a frost, the ground is still too cool at night and the plants will not grow!  This IS great weather for  broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce and the rest of the cold crop plantings. And pansies if you want to add color until it gets warmer! We try to explain this to customers when they are purchasing, to save them another trip and to save $$$ from lost crops and flowers. Some listen...some think they know more than we do?
I have the next couple of days off, and it is yard clean up time!
Fun, satisfying and boring all in the same!
I am without a car till at least tomorrow. Seems I needed 2 new front tires, tie rod (?) and something else. So I have no excuses not to get anything done. Other than FB and blogging! :) And catching up on laundry.
Brian is stopping after work and picking up Fertilizer for the garden to be tilled into. Seems we need more phosphorous and nitrogen.
Also going to start making that abundance of chicken "poop" useful.

One of the "perks" working there, (other than the great discounts) are the free flowers you get to bring home :)  The fresh flower bouquet was considered "too old" too sell, along with the carnations, both with a LOT of life left in them. There is a freebie pile under the timeclock for all employees to enjoy. (the bouquet, was an added bonus yesterday, specifically handed to me....) I LOVE MY JOB! :)
(ooooh...don't look at the dusty mantel!  I just managed to take the Easter decor off of it Sunday evening) I'll get to that later...(dusting!)

5 reactions to todays post:

Mental P Mama said...

I would love a place like that to work! You are soooo lucky!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I plan on doing something like this when I retire which may be sooner than expected. I love those flowers and that mantel. What dust? I just spent my savings on new tires. I had to have 4. I planted potatoes in my garden yesterday, first time even though I have dug my share. I cant wait to see your garden this year.
<><

I Am Woody said...

What an awesome job!!

Unknown said...

I love how happy this job makes you! There is nothing worse than working at a job you hate...obviously that's not you!!! They are blessed to have you!

littletoesandcheerios said...

YAY! That time of year again. I love your attitude about not letting your tired body get the best of you. You got to keep that fight in ya...never give up. Sounds like a fun job.