My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

Monday, June 15, 2009

I' M ... B A C K !

Whew!
The following post I started about a month ago...and never finished....

One day off here! After working 7 days straight! And 2 of those days were 10 hour days. But the time went so quickly and was so much fun, I barely noticed! Okay, I was exhausted when I got home, only managed a load of laundry, eat a quick bite (mostly chocolate). Tried to catch up reading some blogs really fast and then crashed! And if it was decent outside, I was able to plant the plants I purchased that day!
Normally, my work season would be ending in a couple more weeks, but Dave asked me to stay through June. It will all depend on the business. We are having a "late" season with all of the rain we've been getting!

Mother's Day weekend, I worked all weekend and Rock CLEANED the house and had supper ready and waiting on me! All I had to do was sit and eat! He even did the clean up!
He also bought a new trellis for my Concord Grape vine. We managed to get the vine off of the old trellis and onto the new one without damaging the vine itself! woohoo! I luv concord grapes!

I was out in the MUD one evening planting the garden! Seriously I had mud up to my ankles, almost! But I was determined to get the corn, beans, potatoes and sunflowers planted that day, according to the moon! And if I didn't get them planted that night, it would have been another week before I could! So walking around with a pound of mud on my shoes was worth it....everything is growing!!! You've got to know, this is the first year for me to do a "big" garden!
The smaller garden on the other side of the deck is still growing tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, parsley, sweet basil, onions and strawberries, luffa and cucumbers.
Rock also got the fountains going for me....the small (very small) pond is still in cleaning mode!
I still have grandiose ideas on a big pond, but the "new" garden took up some of that planning space, so now have to rethink the area and design! Out in the woods here, I don't have alot of options!

I did come home from work one day, glanced over at the new chicks, chicken coop, seen chickens, went on in. When it was almost dark, I went out to close the coop door, of course they are already in by now. Next morning, going to work, I go over and open their door, 3 chicks fly out.....there should be 4. I wait a second...no 4th chick. I go around open the back door.....no 4th chick. Now you have to know that this is a small coop....for new chicks. It is fenced in. With fencing on the top even. I start looking around the area and woods for signs of feathers.....NOTHING!
My chick literally "flew the coop".
The only thing we can figure out is, it may have flown through one of the top holes of the fencing, the day before, and something carried it off! :(
*****************************
We have been working in the yard...I still need more flowers..hard to do in the woods! Finally got our mulch put down. Got a new lil' portable garden type sink for outside...need to clean out fountains, already! The biggie is, we still need to re stain the decks. Course it will have to stop raining for about a week to do that!!!
Oh and...one of the baby chicks is a rooster! We are sure! Learning to crow in the mornings is a dead give away~!! Bad part is it's Miss Peepers chick and very distinguishable. She named her (him) LUCY. That is now LUCIFER! We plan to take him to the sale auction and somehow replace him, we hope!!!

BAD news is...after this week, Rock will be layed off work for "at least" 2 weeks.
We will just have to buckle up....we are not alone....alot of other people are in the same situation. It just means, NO extras and staying home...bummer!

SO...it's pretty mundane here ...just need to catch up on everyone else's EXCITING lives

6 reactions to todays post:

ClassyChassy said...

Sorry about the lay off - at least it is only 2 weeks. Mine has been since Thanksgiving last year, and I do not expect to be called back. No picture of your chicken coop? Was hoping to see it in the pics - nice grassy chicken yard! Love your new design - very lovely - just in time for July 4 upcoming celebrations!

Unknown said...

Glad to have you back for at least a moment! I love the garden and can not wait to see more photos!!! Love the young man in your chicken coop. I vote for him to stay!!!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Hey there stranger! Missed ya lots.

Keep the bird! Love that garden. I picked 2 squash yesterday!

Unknown said...

Sorry you lost a chickie, and also about the layoff. That sucks.

Predo said...

Lay off is poop, but the garden and Chicken coop are fantastic!! Love it!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you has been missed but so cool to see what all you have accomplished... do a big pond if you dont you will later... LOL trust me from 700 gallons to 4000 gallons we did !