My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vintage Thursday's

My "FIRST Vintage Thingies Thursday" post....



This little box was handmade, hand carved by my Great Great Grandfather....He made this box in 1894 and gave it to his wife for her 19th birthday in 1895. It was made from a growth on a tree trunk using an awl and a file. The picture does not do it justice....beautiful wood and intricate detailing!



Check out; Confessions of an Apron Queen for more inspirational vintage reads.






Ooohhh and....last night the 'bride to be' was over, I gave her a choice of 3 out of the 16 dresses that I have purchased, and this is the dress that she chose for me to wear to the wedding this weekend...have to take in the waistline...

14 reactions to todays post:

Coloradolady said...

What a lovely family treasure. And very romantic I might add. I simply love things like this, the work on the box looks amazing. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing. And welcome to VTT. It's fun.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely box - and how special that it is a family heirloom - I also have a box made by my gg grandfather, for his sister.

Lidian

Beth Ann said...

WOW!

That is an incredible chest! How fantastic of a story! And your dress for the wedding! Wish I cold wear things like that! Very spring-ie and romantic!

Gretchen said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

A wonderful, wonderful, keepsake and treasure!
Blessings to you!
Claudia O.

Keeper Of All Things said...

Beautiful Box.......
Still waiting for Roll Top Desk......

Holy Crappers said...

Beautiful box !!

I have a question. When did the "Bride to be" start tellin future MIL's what or what they cannot wear? Did I miss something?
This is what I have to look forward to if and when my son gets married?
I don't like my future DIL already !!

#1

The Apron Queen said...

What a beautiful box and a wonderful family heirloom. Great story to go with it. Bet you'll be beautiful at the wedding. Thanks for joining in!

JEWELGIRL said...

Great box! I am assuming it was
made in the Hoosier state!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

the box is BEAUTIFUL and So is the dress Cant wait to see you in it!!!

Caution/Lisa said...

I love the dress! I don't think I own 16 of anything. Okay, maybe 16 pairs of shoes, but that's it.

Big Hair Envy said...

That box is absolutely beautiful!

I hope that I don't have to worry about buying a mother of the bride dress for a LONG time!!! Although, yours is lovely :)

Treasia Stepp said...

What a beautiful box that is. Love the dress she chose. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you do come back again.

Aunt Julie said...

You are so fortunate to have something that's been in your family for so many generations. You'll be able to give that to one of your kids to keep, and be thankful that the family story will continue to grow through the generations.