IT'S JUST NOT ALL ABOUT THE GROUNDHOG TODAY!
Just for the "YOUNGER GENERATION" out there in BLOGGY LAND....Being a BABY BOOMER (meaning being born in the years 1946-1964)....I feel I have been Blessed, to have lived through these past 50+++++++++ years.
To have known the "SIMPLER" way of Life, (even though we thought it was hard)
There have been so many NEW DISCOVERIES and INVENTIONS in Medicine and Technology...the changes we have seen in our Religion, Government, Education..
I could go on and on......
To make it short....I am PROUD ( and GLAD) to be the age I am and to have known and lived the life I've been given and I can only HOPE I will be given at least another HEALTHY 50 years.....
In the year 1951.....
- UNIVAC 1 First commercial computer. You've Got mail! WOOHOO!!
- President: Harry S Truman
- Vice President: Alben W. Barkley
- Population: 154,877,888
- Life expectancy: 68.7 years
- The comic strip, Dennis the Menace, written by Hank Ketchum, debuts and is picked up by 750 newspapers.
- Still camera gets built-in flash units.
- First oral contraceptive ( the Pill )invented by Luis E. Miramontes
- The U.S. Congress ratifies the Twenty-second Amendment, limiting presidents to two terms in office. (Some say that's still one too many.)
- S&H Green Stamps get their start at the Denver store chain King Sooper.
- Gerber Products starts using MSG (monsodium glutamate) in its baby foods to make them taste better.
- Yes! Tupperware!
- American automobile manufacturer Chrysler Corporation introduces power steering., which they called Hydraguide
- J. Andre-Thomas invents the first heart-lung machine, allowing advanced life-support during open-heart surgery
- Swanson introduces beef, chicken, turkey pot pies. Hard to imagine there was life before this feast of gourmet treats
- 20 year old outfielder Willie Mays joins N.Y. Giants Baseball team, while Joe DiMaggio retires from baseball
- Topps Company started it's first baseball card series. The series consisted of two individual sets of 52 cards each
- 17 million Americans now own TV sets. Just in time for I Love Lucy and the Cisco Kid to debut.
- The Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Show 1951-1957
- The Jack Benny Show
- You Bet Your Life Show
- The Colgate Comedy Hour TV Show
- First Color Television Pictures broadcast from Empire State Building
- Super glue invented.
- Charles Ginsburg invented the first videotape recorder (VTR).
- First nuclear bomb tests at Nevada test site
- The first nuclear power plant is built by the US Atomic Energy Commission
- #1 HIT SONG was Come on-a My House by Rosemary Clooney
- Unemployment: 3.3%
- Walt Disney's "Alice In Wonderland" released
- House: $16,000
- Average income: $3,515
- Ford car: $1424-$2253
- Milk: $.92
- Gas: $.20
- Bread $.16
- Postage stamp: $.03
- 14 oz. can of Hershey’s Syrup: $.17
- Sliced Bacon: $.63 per lb
- Coca Cola, 6 bottles: $.37
- Canada Dry Ginger Ale, (2) 28 oz btls: $.39
- Post Sugar Crisp Ceral, 6 oz pkg: $.19
- AND IF you HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR....Here is something for all of the Baby Boomer's out there.....your own informative (it's a really good website)
- ..http://www.seniorjournal.com/BabyBoomers.htm


12 reactions to todays post:
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Happy Birthday Chickie!
I have gifts at my place for you!
Hope your day is the best!
Happiest Birthday to you! You deserve the best day ever. Hope it is a great one.
Hugs and smooches!
Happy Birthday Wishes from Georgia this morning! You brought back so many fond memories with your list. I remember mother saving S&H stamps - what a chore - but we got some lovely items with them! Hope you have a fabulous day.
I had forgotten S+H stamps. Our church got a piano that way and our family got sleeping bags. My kids still sleep in them when we go visit my parents.
Happiest of days to you! I hope you have the beautiful sunshine we have today. What a beautiful gift for a beautiful blogger!
Happy, happy birthday!!
I just loved the prices of things! I myself am not a baby boomer, but I grew up in a very small town in Wisconsin, so I truly understand. Sometimes I wish life could go back to being that simple, but I agree. i like the age I am at.
Happy Birthday!!!!!!
The Pill, Tupperware, pot pies and color tv??? What an exceptional year THAT was!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY:)
Happy Birthday~ My hubby is a 1951er and will be 58 in march :) that was a good year :)
Happy Birthday! As a younger baby boomer, we are so lucky to have seen
all the awesome advances the years
have brought. Have a fab day!
May your birthday be filled with many blessings. Happy Birthday to you!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I have a special place in my heart for Ground Hog Babies - I birthed one!!
Hope that it was a lovely day.
Post a Comment