My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

My Metabolic Rate Is Stuck

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Late last Friday night, on my way home, about a mile from our house, I see this white dog in the middle of the road. He is running around like he is lost. SO I get out and try to call him to me.
He just takes off running.
Saturday, we go into town. No sign of him. I'm thinking, Good he found his way home.
Sunday, Rock and I are on our way home from church and there he is again laying on the side of the road at the same intersection I seen him Friday. Rock pulls around the corner and I jump out of the car and try to coax him to me with NO luck again. IT is very cold out and now I can see that the dog is practically down to skin and bones. I'm sitting there on the road in my Sunday best and heels trying to talk to him. He is so skittish and afraid. We go home.
About an hour later I drive back down to the corner. He is still there . This time I have brought some canned cat food with me. He will only eat it if I'm not close to him. BY 10 pm Sunday night, I have been down there another 2 times trying to get him to trust me.
Monday morning. I have been to the corner 3 times before 10 AM. Meanwhile alot of other cars are stopping and trying to help. One lady gave me her fried chicken she had just purchased at the store. Another lady tries to give me some brownies for him. Well, He has finally started to trust me enough to eat from my hand, but if you go to touch him, he jumps away and runs.
By now my heart is breaking! I go back home and call the Sheriffs Dept, Animal Control. Telling them if we can only get him, I'll look after him. This is a very busy intersection, even out here in the country. I'm so afraid he will get hit. By the end of Monday, I have used a half a tank of gas just driving back and forth, 1 mile from where we live. Some other people that live in the opposite way we do are helping also. There are about 4 different plastic containers that other people have left food for him. One lady told me he has been around for a couple of weeks and even up to our very small town. But he always comes back to the same corner and lays, like he's waiting for someone. Each time he sees or hears a car approaching he looks so hopeful, you can almost see him disappointed when he doesn't recognize the cars. In between all of this I have checked all the local newspapers and can't find anyone listing a white lost dog.
Well after calling and talking to the Sheriff's Dept FOUR more times and numerous trips back to the corner to check on him, I go back down again around 4 pm today. Some of the other neighbors come out to help me. We try all different ways, and finally they bring out one of their dogs on a leash. Rock is on his way home and sees that we are all down there so he comes by.
Another car stops. And miraculously the dog finally gives up and lets us get a hold on him.
I'm estactic. We bring him home and give him a bath because he stinks. He settles down and acts like he's lived here.
He is such a loving dog and so very very Good!
I'm not sure if we are going to keep him. There are so many other people that I have met just trying to help this poor dog that would take him too.
But at least I can go to sleep and not have to worry about him tonight!

13 reactions to todays post:

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

Now lets just hope Peepers doesn't terrify him, I know how skittish he is.
I am glad I will drive by there tomorrow and he won't be there.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am happy he does not have to stay on that busy corner tonight. What a sweet face. Bless you for caring about him and all the others too. Keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Aren't dogs just the most loyal creatures in God's universe? It breaks my heart that he will never stop looking when he hears a car. Hopefully your generosity and love will compensate. You are a good woman.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

awww he is beautiful... I am willing to bet, and this is sad that his people may have loved him alot but could not afford to keep him so he may have been dumped out especially if he kept comming back to the same corner... Poor darling... that is becoming way way too common. I am glad you kept up till he has finally come to you you will have a friend for life.

Mental P Mama said...

What a story. I am so glad he is in your cozy house. Poor baby.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I would have done the same. You know what an animal lover I am. Keep me posted. He is a beautiful dog.
Love U

I Am Woody said...

I am so glad he now has a warm home and food to eat and a family to love!

Keeper Of All Things said...

You just keep picking up them strays!!!!

Treasia Stepp said...

What a touching story. I had tears in my eyes reading this. He is a very beautiful dog. Happy to hear he is with you and in a warm loving home now.

Unknown said...

What a cutie patoot.ie...I hope he tays right there with you.

You will be blessed for being such a loving soul

Caution/Lisa said...

You are the beautiful one, girl! Thank-you for caring! What a precious pet he will be.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What a handsome pup you're halping out there!! Way to go and I love your awesome blog.
If you have a moment or two of your life that you'd like to waste, then please mosey on over to mine and say hello.
Take good care and......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Big Hair Envy said...

He sure is a beauty! What have you decided to name him??....you KNOW he's staying with you:) You are too kind hearted to let him go now!